Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Birdie Meets Karate Kid

I went to YaYa's tonight to keep Karate Kid while the rest of the crew went to Necie's preschool graduation. I took Birdie with me. Karate Kid slept in the swing the whole time, and after Birdie ate, she went to sleep also. We had a relaxed time, but no pictures. I forgot my camera, and things were just too busy there.

Today I was reading in Proverbs. I always read my Bible or pray when I pump. I don't remember the exact verse and don't have my Bible with me. The verse talked about God caring for us in the same way that a mother comforts her young children. This analogy made sense to me. I've been thinking a lot lately about "my" children not being mine. They're basically growing up a little later than me, but technically aren't my property but my responsibility. It is my responsibility to be their model and show them what's most important in life. What a task! I'm supposed to point them to God with my actions, words, etc. Last night, we ate (or tried to eat) tofu, cleaned out the car, took baths, prayed, but told all three of the oldest children that we didn't have time for devotion because it was too late. All three asked for devotion at different times, and Bear gets especially upset when we say no. Lou Lou got a new Bible this weekend and wanted to keep practicing reading David and Goliath, but I said no. I mostly said no because my energy was so drained. I get so into the reading and telling and sharing details that it exhausts me, so if I start out exhausted, I just have to say no. What kind of example is this for my children? What does this tell them about my priorities? What if we tried to do devotion in the morning to make it less of a last minute item for our day? By the way, if I try this, I'll be late or later to work every single day:).
Anyway, back to the verse in Proverbs, I usually thought that my kids are looking at God as sort of like a parent who loves you and comforts you. What if, also, they're looking at me as their example of how God cares for them? Not that I'm perfect or anything like God, but because I'm their earthly mother and God is their heavenly father, you can see where they might look at my example as to what God might be like in these early years.

Funny story...A few nights ago, the twins were talking about God. Bug said, "Where is God?" I said, "God is everywhere." Bear said, "Yeah, look right behind you, there he is" and points very dramatically. Of course, Bug looks around and I told her that God is everywhere even though you can't see Him. She asked if He was in heaven with MaMa and I said yes. Then she pointed to the living room and said, "God is in the piano room practicing for piano lessons." Then after our laughs, she cupped her hands together, looked at the ceiling, and said, "God, come downstairs." The twins and I had a good laugh over crazy old Bug.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Reminds me of Gibran

Rob said...

messed up the link sorry. here it is "manually"
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5484/Gib04.htm