Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First Tofu Meal

I've always described tofu as wet plastic - haha! In an effort to stay healthy and save money, I decided to try a tofu dish. The recipe called for marinating the tofu for an hour in peanut butter, barbecue sauce, canola oil, and garlic. It could have been grilled or broiled but I opted for baked because I'm most familiar with this. Also, the rainy weather prevented us from grilling. The children didn't like it, but I was happy that they at least tried it. Bug didn't try it and continued to say, "I don't like it." I liked it okay, but followed every mouthful with a big spoon of mac and cheese, which made me feel like a little girl and made me laugh. Jimmy doctored it up as best he could with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. He said, "Well, we know we'll have plenty of leftovers. If someone said I couldn't go to sleep until I ate it, then I'd be up all night." Haha! I don't know how economical tofu is for our family if we throw out the leftovers:).

If I knew how to add pictures on this blog, I would take a picture of my kitchen floor. Tonight, while I cooked our lovely healthy supper, the twins and Bug helped Jimmy clean out both of our cars. The junk takes up most of the floor from the kitchen sink to the window. Tomorrow my goal is to find the floor before I leave for work.

On a serious note, God is really working hard on Jimmy and I. Currently, we've been listening to a preacher named Paul Washer. He has lots of sermons on YouTube. They get us both so fired up. I'm excited about what God is going to do in our lives. As Bebe (my friend from church) said, "God's doesn't have your water boiling for no reason. He's not going to just turn off the burner. He's going to cook something."

I'm so blessed by God to have a husband that gets excited about hearing preachers on YouTube.

2 comments:

VeganLinda said...

I'm trying to think back to when I first tried tofu. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, but I know some people don't like it the first time (consistency issues, I believe). Of course, Josie loves to eat it straight out of the package, but my kids are crazy that way. I cook it for the neighbor kids (who hadn't tried it before coming to our house) fried which they love, but might cut down on the "healthy" aspect since frying anything is not the healthiest way to eat it. :-) Oh, and what type of tofu did you use? Don't use the kind which is just sold on the shelf (silken) for baking or grilling. It needs to be the kind sold in the refrigerated section and I suggest wrapping it in a cloth and pressing it to get the liquid out before you marinate. Also, freezing it in the package over night is also helpful for many people who aren't used to tofu.

As far as the lentils (or any beans for that matter) dried is the way to go. It is much cheaper and healthier to use dried beans and with lentils you don't have to soak them overnight like you do other beans. Just rinse of the lentils and cook...I'd have to see the recipe to see if you need to add more water/liquid (I would bet you would if it called for canned) or cook longer (I would guess this as well since the recipe called for canned).

VeganLinda said...

One more thing...I am going to try this recipe tonight and she has a lot of good stuff on her site.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/05/pistachio-crusted-tofu.html