Monday, June 30, 2008

Yard Sales #2

Jimmy went on a church youth trip this past weekend. We went to my hometown for most of the time he was gone. The good thing about going to my Mama's house is that there are more grownups to help, to laugh at all the crazy stuff that goes on, and to think of and sometimes prepare what we will eat next. We had a good time, and we gave my Mama and Daddy plenty to laugh about.

On Saturday morning, I got up early and went yard saling again. I found a play kitchen and play food to stay at MaJe's house. I also found a sturdy tricycle for Bug to ride. I bought a few clothes and puzzles, but the real steal of the day was a double jogging stroller for only two dollars. I'm so excited about this purchase, because we have no way to go out on the road with all four children at the same speed. For example, if I stroll Birdie and Lou Lou strolls Bug, Bear prefers to ride on his bike and he goes way ahead of us, so most of the walk involves hollering for him to wait, which of course makes his day:). The other option is for the twins to ride bikes, I still stroll Birdie, and Bug walks along at a two-year old's pace behiind me. We're left with the same problem of mostly walking, hurrying, and hollering. The double jogging stroller will alleviate these concerns, I hope. We haven't tried it out yet, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.

Lou Lou sang "Amazing Grace" on Sunday. She was very nervous earlier that morning when we practiced and she started crying. However, when it was time to sing, she stood close to me and looked at me basically the whole time. After it was over, she hugged me forever while the congregation clapped, and I think she teared up a bit then. Later that day, she told me that she did not want to do that again.

Today a friend of mine that is finishing up grad. school in education came to interview my children for a case study. She actually only had to use one child from ages 2-6 but to be fair she interviewed everyone. She had to ask them some questions about clouds, plants, waves, etc. She would use their responses to determine if they give "adult" answers, repeating what they've heard, or if they come up with their own ideas. Anyway, when she interviewed Bug, I was finishing up the kitchen and then heading upstairs so I didn't hear the whole interview. I did hear one funny part. My friend asked Bug, "Where does the rain come from?", and Bug replied, "God!" with a bit of a "Didn't you know that?" tone. It was so funny!

Our house was such a disaster zone today that I declared it Clean Up Day. Normally, the children help as needed in between playing times. I told them right away this morning that we would be straightening and cleaning all day, so don't complain. It worked out pretty good. We got almost all of the upstairs done. I'm supposed to be downstairs finishing up, but instead I wanted to catch up here for awhile. One thing is for sure...there's always somewhere to catch up.

Birdie has turned out to be quite the fruit lover. She likes peaches, kiwi, nectarines, plums, and bananas. She doesn't love vegetables, but does try more of them if she picks them up herself rather than me feeding them to her with a spoon. Today I bought some YoBaby plain yogurt. When I think plain, I think vanilla, but I realized when I opened the pack that I was wrong. After just one bite, she held her hand up in a "Stop in the Name of Love" fashion and kept it up as I tried to offer her a second bite. I ended up mixing it up with some applesauce and then she was more accepting.

One more funny thing that happened this weekend...Papa J is part of the Gideons and he was going to the prison for a monthly Gideon ministry there on Friday night. First, we went out to Joyce's Kitchen (all day breakfast) but Papa J drove separately. He walked in, all dressed up in a suit and tie. Lou Lou asked MaJe why he was so dressed up. MaJe did her best to explain where he was going and why. Lou Lou commented back, "Well, if the people in the prison need to know about Jesus, their preacher should go and Papa J should stay with us!"

No comments: