Friday, July 4, 2008

Stuff, stuff, and more stuff

When I read about the 100 Thing Challenge (having 100 or less possessions), I was curious. Later, on Christian radio I heard someone preaching about human's inability to take material possessions with us when we die. This was not news to me, but the timing of this message on the heels of my interest in the 100 Thing Challenge really got me thinking. I don't think I could go down to owning only 100 things, and don't care about what number I have right now. Instead, I particularly felt challenged to give away some of my stuff.

My husband and I are Salvation Army crazy. He makes a trip to the Salvation Army every 1-2 weeks to drop off whatever we've decided that we no longer need. This 100 Thing Challenge is the perfect opportunity for me to increase my donations to the Salvation Army. In other words, we already are in the mindset of "give it away if you don't use it", but I just feel like cranking this up a notch now. If I'm not using it and someone else can use it, then why should I hold on to it? It's like I'm looking at everything around my house through a new, critical lens.

No comments: