Thursday, July 17, 2008

Patient Kids and Poop

These days, we get up and go to swimming lessons each morning. We used to go in the afternoons, and I felt like I got more done during the day. I like going in the mornings because it's cooler. It's an indoor pool, so if you're not getting in the pool, it gets very warm. However, just the act of getting everyone there, packing and carrying all the stuff, and getting back home wears me completely out. I have less energy and motivation throughout the day to get stuff done around here. Today is their last day of lessons for awhile. Bear loves, loves, loves the lessons, but Lou Lou is scared to jump in the deep water. She's done it several times, but still isn't sure of herself. Right now they're in the Guppy Class. While we're there, the baby girls and I all get in, or just Bug gets in. Bug is happy either way. Birdie absolutely loves getting in and happily lunges towards me into my arms in the water whenever I sit her on the side of the pool. I don't put her face in, but she shuts her eyes every time she comes in as if she's going under. It is just so cute when she does this, and she would "jump" in a million times if I kept doing it.

We played a game with a pile of odds and ends yesterday while the baby girls were asleep. We had about 15 small items. We studied the pile, and then one of us (me, Bear, or Lou Lou) would pick up an item and hide it while the other two were out of the room. Then we came back and tried to figure out which object was missing. This kind of game is not the funnest in the world to me, but they really enjoyed it.

I thought they would enjoy a cruise through Target before church. We have not many groceries and I need to go shopping desperately, but my time and energy never meet up. When I have the time to go grocery shopping, I don't have the energy. When I have the energy to go, I don't have the time. Anyway, I needed to pick up something for Birdie to eat at church so we took off to Target. I also wanted to look at some of their soaps. They have some more natural-brand soaps, shampoos, etc. now which really interests me. I bought a lavender bar soap already as well as some Method laundry detergent, Method hand soap, and 7th Generation dish soap.

When we got to Target, I got out and opened the door to get Birdie out. She was being her usual jolly self and smiling up at me, but I discovered by smell and sight that she was sitting in poop as I picked her up out of the car seat. Once I had in her in my hands, I had to hold her out away from me so it didn't get on me. We definitely didn't have time for me to go home and change my clothes. I immediately began praying that I hadn't forgotten my wipes. Lou Lou got up and laid out a swimming lesson towel. (I guess there are times when it pays to not clean out the car each time you go home:)) I kept my hands on Birdie while Lou Lou and Bear looked for wipes. When we couldn't find any, I began praying that we would quickly see someone we knew in the parking lot. After a minute or so, I saw the wipes. Thank goodness, the pack was almost full.

I began wiping her off and had to throw the yuck diaper, yuck outfit, and yuck wipes onto the ground by the car. The whole wiping process took at least five minutes or what seemed like five minutes. After awhile, I could tell that these wipes could not accomplish the job, but soap, water, or grownup help was unavailable for the moment. Meanwhile, Bug had gotten out of her car seat. Come to think of it, I know I didn't unbuckle her, so who did? I guess she asked Bear to in all the commotion. She moved herself up to the driver's seat and began pushing and pulling and sliding any button she could get her hands on. The car was turned off, so we didn't experience the fruits of her labor until I turned the car back on after we went in Target. A car pulled in to park beside us, and the Dad saw the mess on the ground. I heard him tell his daughter to not get out on that side and that her Mom would get her from the other side...Smart move! The mom and daughter went in and the dad stayed in the car in the passenger seat (close to the pile).

After I got Birdie moderately clean, I wrapped the poopy clothes, toys, etc. in another swimming lesson towel and tried to wipe off the car seat. While doing this, Bug starts beeping the horn. The man in the car beside us looked at us and gave us a half smile, like this wasn't really cute but rather annoying. Anyway, I told everyone to get out of the car. I knew we were going to be late for church, but had no choice because I still had to get Birdie some food. When the rest of the kids got out of the car, Bug started trying to open our neighbor's car door. Again, he gave a half smile.

Our trip in Target was less eventful, although they all did so good about not asking me to buy this or that. I guess the twins knew I was frazzled. They were all so patient through the whole thing. Maybe they were entertained. I don't think they'll forget this adventure.

1 comment:

tlynnowens said...

I laughed so hard when I read this. I could just imagine you telling me in person. I wish I could have been there to help you!