Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hatch Hair

Today I got my hair cut...again! Just three weeks ago, I had a haircut but I didn't get enough cut off. When I was young, I had straight blonde hair. I had very little Hatch hair. Hatch hair is very coarse and more wavy than curly. My hair stayed straight and mostly blonde and very thick throughout high school. I had some unfortunate haircuts but for the most part my hair did about what I wanted it to. My hair was so straight that when I was in 7th grade and wanted a perm, I had to get two a few days apart because the first perm didn't take.

That was then and this is now. Apparently your hair changes during pregnancy. My current hairdo guru said that your hair gets thicker during pregnancy and then you shed hair in the months after giving birth. Well, my hair definitely got thicker but I don't think I've ever shed more than two hairs at a time. After having the twins, Hatch hair begin to claim its territory, starting at the back of my neck. Apparently, Hatch hair is very bossy and possessive, as it has gradually taken over almost my whole head since the births of Bug and Birdie. I once asked a hairdresser, "Does thick hair mean that you have more individual strands of hair or that each piece of hair is thick?" She replied, "It could mean either, but for you it means both". When I say I put up a ponytail, I mean it literally. My hair is thick like horse hair and seems to grow east and west. Hatch hair is also anti-gravitational.

So today, I got it cut short so that I can forgo the 2nd grade hairclip for awhile. My hair is not the most important thing to me, but when it gets in my way and makes me feel crazy, then it's time to get it cut versus pull it out:).

Bug and Lou Lou also got trims, just to even things out and get rid of dead ends. I told Bear that he could start going with his Daddy, which made his day. By the way, Bug and Lou Lou have very little Hatch hair currently but it is there. It's just a bit of a wave, but it's not coarse...not yet and not ever I hope. Bear has absolutely no Hatch hair and Birdie has absolutely no hair. Well, she does have a little peach fuzz, which is so precious.

Tonight we have swimming lessons, then children's choir, and then a church supper. Off to pack our bags!

No comments: