Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sickness

For the last month, someone in our family has had some kind of illness. It started with Bear and bronchitis. Next was Birdie with an ear infection. As her ear infection went out the door, an unusual stomach bug came in the window. She threw up, but only at nighttime an hour or so after suppertime. During the day, she was fine. On her last night of sickness, it transitioned to poop, smeared all over everywhere she had been crawling for the last few minutes. Meanwhile, Lou Lou began developing a bad cough and sore throat. I still haven't taken her to the doctor with it, because she seems to manage fine with it for now. Anytime I've taken a child to the doctor "too soon" to try and get ahead of the illness, they've always told me that they can't do anything at this point until more symptoms appear. However, a week of bad cough and sore throat seems awhile.

On Thanksgiving Day, Bear got his hand shut in the crack of a bedroom door, and we thought we were going to have to visit the doctor for that. We waited it out, and it turned out to be only a sore finger and not a broken one.

On Friday night, we went to visit MaJe and Papa J. That night, Bug woke up with an upset stomach and began throwing up. This morning, she had bad diarrhea.

Through all of this, I don't feel well myself. It sort of feels like I have the beginning of bronchitis, but I don't take the time to go to the doctor myself because I don't feel that it is severe enough to warrant that. Also, I think I feel more worn down than usual because of the massive amounts of laundry that sick children create. Our laundry is piled piled piled up in my closet. During one of Birdie's throwing up spells, we decided to have her sleep in the pack and play, also in our closet. Jimmy closed the door so that we wouldn't disturb her as we got ready the next morning. Apparently, after he shut the door, some of the laundry fell and I had to push and shove a bit to get in the closet. This situation made me laugh, which is exactly the medicine I needed...Laundry piled up so high that parents can't get to their child. The laundry hadn't fallen on her, but had barricaded the doorway just a bit. It only took a small shove and I was in, but the thoughts of what more laundry could have done was humorous, probably because everything's funnier when I'm tired.

No comments: