Friday, August 1, 2008

The Zip and Dash is Back!

All four kids plus me went to the beach this past week to visit with family. YaYa's crowd and my crowd stayed with one of my cousins in her beach house. Another set of cousins stayed at a beach house nearby. We had a pretty good time. Jimmy was unable to go because of teaching summer school. It would have been easier and more enjoyable if he had been there. Having the option to split up the kids and responsibilities is always nice. I had fun staying up late and laughing and talking with YaYa. The children loved the beach, and it was Bug's first time there. She became more and more comfortable around the water the longer we stayed, which is very typical for her with most new experiences. Bear loved spending time with some boy cousins, Parker and Dema. He stayed with them, spending the night and everything, most of the time. I was so glad that he was able to do this, and our cousins were so welcoming and willing to take him in for long periods of time. Next time we do this, I hope that Jimmy will be able to go so that I can have some more grownup talk and catch up time.

Now I'm at MaJe and Papa J's house with the baby girls. Jimmy left yesterday with his mom (Mama C) and the twins to go to Florida to visit his sister, TT. I miss having all my children (and my husband) here, but I'm trying to relax and enjoy this little break.

Birdie, MaJe, and I went shopping today while Bug and Papa J took a nap. As we shopped, I came upon a dress. I held it up for MaJe to see and said, "Look! It's a high-dollar Zip and Dash!" I tried it on just for fun, but immediately fell completely in love with it. I'm so excited, just typing these words in, that I want to stop typing and run to look at it. I wasn't sure about purchasing it because I already had the mindset that this dress was a Zip and Dash style, a dress that my grandmother would have cooked in as well as worn to Wednesday night prayer meeting. I loved the style and color and feel of the dress, but I just had MaMa on my mind, and didn't want to spend money on a dress that I wouldn't wear out of the house. While I had it on in the dressing room, all MaJe and I could do was laugh.

For those who didn't get to see MaMa in a Zip and Dash, it is a dress that goes just a little past the knee. It has buttons from about your navel to just about shoulder-level. A Zip and Dash typically has some kind of thin belt that goes through small hoops around the waist. It's usually made out of cotton, sometimes stripes or plaid.

I couldn't decide whether to get it or not. I decided that I would really regret it if I didn't get it, even if I did only wear it around the house. I bought it and MaJe and I laughed about it all the way home. When we got home, I tried it on for Papa J and he said he liked it. When he asked me why I had considered not getting it, I asked him if it reminded him of MaMa. He said, "Well, I was going to say that it looks like a prayer meeting dress, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings." I drove down to show my aunt (Yard Sale Guru), and she said it looked very retro and she would definitely wear it to teach school in. Now I'm completely in love with it and on the look-out for more dresses in this style.

No comments: