Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Birdie Can't Talk

I've enjoyed spending a little more one-on-one time with Bug and Birdie, although I'm anxious for the other half of our family to return. This morning, Bug said, "Mama, let's go to Florida and see Daddy.":)

Birdie has really come out of her shell in the last two days. She is typically the most laidback, non-crying baby in the world. In any upsetting situation, she easily calms herself with her thumb and belly button. Last night at Target, I had a box of mac and cheese. Birdie kept sticking it in her mouth (no big surprise there) and knawing at the cardboard. When I told her to stop, she screamed out loud and for awhile, a lot longer than her typical 2-3 second cries.

Tonight she got upset. I guess she was tired and I had given her a plate of a few carrots, mistakenly thinking that she was hungry. She flung her plate onto the floor, causing small carrot parts to fly everywhere. I looked at her in the face and in a serious voice said, "That's not what we do. Don't throw your plate on the floor anymore." Out comes a loud wail that continued even after I had picked her up and gone up a few stairs. It's fun to see her personality come out a bit. We'll see if she (like Bug) is extra-sensitive to being corrected or if it just makes her mad.

Later on we were reading a book. Birdie was sitting in my lap, and Bug was standing beside my chair. I pointed to the ball in the picture and said to Birdie, "See the ball? Say ball." Without a moment's hesitation, Bug grabbed my arm and said, "Mama, Birdie can't talk. She only says Mama and Dada!". Bug said this in such a "Let me fill you in" kind of way, as if I wasn't aware of Birdie's progress and development. In Bug's mind, why am I wasting my time asking Birdie to say something that she clearly can't say at this point? This was the sweetest thing to me.

Bug is the lovingest little two year old lately. All through the day, she'll say, "I love you, Mama." Sometimes she'll say "I love you so much" or "I love you so sweet" or "I love you so tight" and every once in awhile, she'll throw in a deep voice "baby" at the end of her sentence. This time together with both baby girls makes going back to school a lot tougher, so I guess it's best not to think about it right now. I can get weepy at night sometimes, so I better go to bed rather than dreading the start of my 15th school year.

2 comments:

VeganLinda said...

Dema has been, and still is to some extent, VERY sensitive to being corrected...even in it is done in a loving way. He has burst into tears when other adults tell him "no"...not because he can't do what he wants to do, but because he has done something "wrong".

I know you miss the twins, but how nice to have some alone time with the little ones!

fredbunch said...

You're right. This time with my baby girls has been wonderful. Bug has had a chance to be in the spotlight for awhile, and she has been much more into playing with and hugging on Birdie in the past week. Prior to this week, they didn't pay as much attention to each other because they were both so into the twins.

Sounds like Dema and Bug have a lot in common. She has become desensitized to my correction, but doesn't do as well with others' corrections of her behavior.