Saturday, October 25, 2008

Candy, candy, and more candy

Last night, we went to a fall festival at church. I'm not into Halloween but I know children like to dress up. It seems wasteful to spend money on a one-time outfit. We have a dress-up box in the baby girls' room with old Halloween outfits, leotards, etc. so the baby girls should be set for awhile with Halloween costumes. TT took the children out two weeks ago to buy new Halloween costumes because she loves Halloween. Anyway, for various reasons, we currently only have a new outfit for Lou Lou. I explained all this to Bear yesterday afternoon on the way home from school, and he handled it so wonderfully. I suggested that he dress as a farmer, since he has some overalls. He loved the idea and he looked great. I told him that my PaPa was a farmer, and he said, "If PaPa Blinson could see me now, he would say, 'That is one cute farmer!'". He had overalls, a thermal shirt, a hat, a garden rake, and his precious cow.

Lou Lou was dressed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I braided her hair and she looked so beautiful. We've had no luck in finding ruby red slippers in her size so she wore her black church shoes. She was adorable. Bug was dressed as a giraffe. She mainly wore a pullover sleeveless giraffe outfit that only went down to her waist. It is such a cute outfit and I think TT got it for us years ago. She also had a big bright orange bow in her hair and she loved her outfit. Birdie was dressed as a pumpkin, which is the same outfit that the twins wore on their first Halloween. She was precious!

Since Lou Lou was dressed as Dorothy, we thought that Bear could be dressed as Auntie Em's husband, but we couldn't think of his name. If anyone knows his name that reads this, email me back.

Another reason I don't like Halloween is because of the excess candy. So much candy! To deal with the bulk of candy in the past, I usually tell the children to select 3 or 4 of their favorite pieces of candy. They put these in sandwich bags with their names on them and then they throw the rest of the candy away. Next, I either let them have one piece everyday or every other day until it's gone, or I let them go ahead and eat all of the candy in their bag at one time. I figure go ahead and get all the sugar, then we can brush your teeth immediately afterward really good one time. It's easier for me to remember this way, plus I don't have to hear, "Can I have a piece of candy?" 800 times. I don't want to veto any candy because it's a part of the real world, but I also don't want to say anything goes with all the candy during this time of year. Also, when the twins were smaller, I could go through their candy myself and throw it away, or hide it until they forgot about it. Jimmy also is a great help in getting rid of their candy. That works out great because he's big enough to take care of his own teeth:).

1 comment:

VeganLinda said...

I believe it is Uncle Henry.